Thread: Orbs! Orbs! Orbs!

AslanC Guest

Question Orbs! Orbs! Orbs!

How many are there and what are their names? Anyone? My players are driving me nuts with this one!

There were originally 9 Orbs, 8 of which were stolen by the Cardies. The 3<sup>rd</sup> Orb, also known as the Orb of Prophecy and Change, was retained by the Bajoran. Two of the ones stolen were the Orb of Time and the Orb of Wisdom. A 10<sup>th</sup> Orb, the Orb of the Emissary, was discovered in early 2375 by the Emissary, Benjamin Sisko.

The number gets mentioned in the DS9 pilot "Emissary" when Kai Opaka introduces Sisko to his first orb called "the Orb of Prophecy and Change". Opaka told Sisko there had been nine orbs and that the other eight had been taken by the Cardassians presumably so they could study their powers. The only names I can find in my ST Encyclopedia are for two others the "Orb of Wisdom" and "The Orb of Time". In the DS9 Millennium trilogy novels the Pah Wraiths have three "red" orbs that when brought within close proximty to each other created a red wormhole into the temple of the Pah Wraiths.

The orb of Wisdom and orb of Time have both been returned to Bajor, one given by the Cardassians, and the other aquired by the Grand Nagus and sold back to them. This means that Cardassia still holds 6 Orbs at the end of the DS9 series...

So the next logical question is;

What should the next 6 orb powers and names be? There is every chance that the new range of DS9 novels will reveal some of this but until then anyone want to take a stab at them?

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

In all seriousness...
    The Orb of Truth?
    The Orb of Mysteries?
    The Orb of Secrets?
    The Orb of Dreams?
    The Orb of Destiny?
    The Orb of Clarity? (In which the Prophets have to talk straight with you and not use metaphors)

In not even remotely seriousness...
    The Orb of Putting Things On Top Of Other Things?
    The Orb of Loch Ness (something my father used to say)?
    The One Orb? (One Orb to rule them all...)
    The Orb of Spam (it just sends the same nonsense message over and over and over and over...)

Wink

Not to mention the fact that someone should fix the universal translator; obviously it thinks the Bajoran word for "large, glowing, hour-glass-shaped thing" translates into Federation Standard as "orb".

Someone should pick up Sisko's baseball and point out "This is an orb!!!"

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

But maybe, just maybe, that's the Bajoran proper noun "Orb" and not the English word "orb" that they're using?

You know, so that "Orb vennwa mens gloptis"
    would be translated as "Bright shiny hourglass-shaped thing that is of prophecy and change"? And the translator just uses Orb for short?

Naah.

Bareil once shown an Orb to Kira, anybody remembers wich one it was? (maybe he said it's name)

------------------
    Hoping You'll understand all of this

Vedek Bareil introduced Kira to what he called the "third orb" the "Orb of Prophecy and Change" in the episode "The Circle". Thats the same episode where they got "involved" with each other.

Hey Aldaron: Sisko's baseball should be called "The Orb of the Emissary"! (Heh heh that's a good one!)After all if it hadn't rolled off the piano in "Image in the Sand" he never would have had a vision to find the real orb or have Ezri toss the ball away to accidently find its spot on Tatooine---er Tyree. If only Dukat knew what his rival left in his office in "Call To Arms".