Thread: Starship Edges

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Starship Edges

Okay, I have a quick question to throw out to everybody. I have decided to allow for "enhanced" tractor beams, which allow a ship to tow vessels of the same size or smaller (instead of one size smaller or worse).

On one of my prototype ships, I decided that the ship would have an "upgraded" enhancement, allowing it to tow ships of one size greater than itself or smaller.

Now, that said (and I'm not here to debate the merits of allowing this, nor do I invite anyone to debate it...please take such posts elsewhere), would this enhancement be considered an "Enhanced System" or a "Unique System." Further, in the case of the prototype tug with two enhancements, how would you think it would best be handled?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I would say an 'Enhanced System,' the 'Unique System' allows for a system larger then would normally be allowed on X sized ship.

Originally posted by Phantom
    I would say an 'Enhanced System,' the 'Unique System' allows for a system larger then would normally be allowed on X sized ship.
    But therein lies my dilemma. The very effect is that the tractor beams acts as if the ship was one size larger (with respect to towing capacity).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Okay, 'Unique System' allows for larger systems on a ship that's otherwise too small for them. But as there is no size requirement for tractor beams (at least not in the strictest sense of the word) you are not actually mounting a larger tractor beam on your ship.
    If your prototype has a larger than usual tractor beam I'd say use the 'Unique System', but if the beam projector is standard sized but more powerfull use 'Enhanced System'.

As for two enhancements on the same ship - no realy good idea right now. Maybe after I'll had a look at the NG again.
    Maybe allow it to lock on the tractor beam even if the other ship has the shields up or something like that.

Unique or just special?

The best rule I can suggest (it's the one I use) is that a "Unique System" should be genuinely unique, that is one of a kind to either the individual starship or its class of starships in relation to all comparible vessels (in the same fleet, etc.).

If only this one class of tug has these advanced tractor beams (a nice way to add value to the tractor ratings, by the way) then I would say it's a Unique System. If you want to just say the tug has some advanced attenuating software or modulation amplifiers installed which empower an otherwise common system, go with "Enhanced System."

At this stage (not having seen the Starships book yet), the technobabble consideration is significant. All of the fun uses/modifications your players (and their characters) can come up with for this tractor beam will need to gel with the Trek Tech description you select for the system now. The relationship between the fictional technology and the ideas your characters come up with is grounds for granting TN modifiers, after all.

A "Unique System" should be significantly more difficult for an alien intruder (or visiting officer) to operate or sabotage, for example. An "Enhanced System" should be more durable outright and might be used as grounds for life-saving modifications on behalf of the ship's native crew ("The tractor beam is rated for twice the normal power output, so maybe we can use those emitters to generate a high-frequency ionic pulse to disperse the debris cloud!")

I've gone on too long.

word,
    will

Originally posted by Lancer

If your prototype has a larger than usual tractor beam I'd say use the 'Unique System', but if the beam projector is standard sized but more powerfull use 'Enhanced System'.
    You sold me. Enhanced System it is.

As for two enhancements on the same ship - no realy good idea right now. Maybe after I'll had a look at the NG again.
    Maybe allow it to lock on the tractor beam even if the other ship has the shields up or something like that.
    The whole idea of a second enhancement to further improve towing capacity is that this would be for a specially-designed tug/tender-type ship, where tractor beams are the ship's primary components.

Of course, I could say that a ship (like my prototype USS Schmidt) uses Unique System to mount a larger tractor beam (designed and powered for a ship one size larger), then enhances that tractor beam, in effect providing the same capability (a Size 5 vessel that can tow Size 6 ships).
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz