Thread: [GIF] USS Cochise

[GIF] USS Cochise

USS Cochise Torpedo Destroyer

Okay, this isn't the Cochise from the Tech Manual, well.. not quite. I liked the idea, but the 'pics' out there of the Cochise left a lot to be desired. So, instead, I used a 'retro-grade' of a DS9-bash design which seemed to make more sense.

The Cochise basically exists to supplant the dissapointing Saladin class, taking care of GR's 'starship rule' issue and adding a weapons platform more fitting for a destroyer. (The Saladin was pretty light in the punch.)

It looks a smidge wonky, but I think the design is overall workable. Comments? Suggestions?

I'd be a little concerned about the vulnerability of the navigational dish and the fact that it appears to block the torpedo launchers to a small degree. While torpedoes generally are self-guided, I'd still want a relatively clear field of release.

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. K. Vaughn
    I'd be a little concerned about the vulnerability of the navigational dish and the fact that it appears to block the torpedo launchers to a small degree. While torpedoes generally are self-guided, I'd still want a relatively clear field of release.

Just a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

Regards,
    CKV.
    Well, it's better than the Abbe in that regard. I was looking for either a 'canon' or 'accepted' deflector system for this type of ship to help with both this and the Coronado, but nothing was forthcoming. Dragging the neck lower makes the ship look even more off, unfortunately.

The dish is, of course, from the Saladin.

I'd probably try to raise the dish slightly rather then lower the neck but that is more of a personal preference.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. K. Vaughn
    I'd probably try to raise the dish slightly rather then lower the neck but that is more of a personal preference.
    The dish is 'standard' and I've been hesistant to change standard pieces away from what's been established too much. (I'm wanting to keep some consistant lines through the project). The dish comes pretty low, though. I had considered doing what I did with the Soyuz, and having heavy torp lauchers straddling the dish on the lower pod...

Understandable. I would suggest leaving it as is then, even if you are sticking as close to established as possible, there is something to be said for keeping things unique.

Regards,
    CKV.

TFVanguard,
    Are you married to this one concept? One way to fix the sensor dish/torp shadow issue Capt. K. Vaughn mentioned is to invert the aft section of the ship, so the nacelles and launchers are over the primary hull...Um something like (snip, snip) this =>
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    TFVanguard,
    Are you married to this one concept? One way to fix the sensor dish/torp shadow issue Capt. K. Vaughn mentioned is to invert the aft section of the ship, so the nacelles and launchers are over the primary hull...Um something like (snip, snip) this =>
    Hey! I like that!

Regards,
    CKV.

I actually have a Fast Destroyer that looks almost exactly like that already. It's loosely based on an SFB design, so the primary hull is smaller and the warp engines are of the 'sub' FWC variety (I really need to name those).

I was just hesistant to include it because I've got so many Destroyer, warships already, and I really need to build up the support classes. It's a good twist on the design, though.

(Oddly, not many fans seem to make support-class ships...)

One way to fix the sensor dish/torp shadow issue Capt. K. Vaughn mentioned is to invert the aft section of the ship, so the nacelles and launchers are over the primary hull...Um something like (snip, snip) this =>

--phoenix
    Oh, nice. I could see them developing the Loknar out of that. Heck, keep the weapon pod dorsal and drop the nacelles ventral and you could even see a little of the Nebula in it.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    (Oddly, not many fans seem to make support-class ships...)
    I had several designed for my FASA games above what was provided in the RPG. It is on my to-do list to convert them over one of these days. Though at the moment, other priorities like prepping for three Trek games takes priority.

I always found it funny that the support ships were not focused on as they can make great stages for various adventures.

Regards,
    CKV.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Oddly, not many fans seem to make support-class ships...
    You should see some of designs. I think I have yet to make ship of the line. A scout is about the most combat inclined vessel I have.

Canon has covered more than enough, Federation, warships. Civilian designs, independant government's, and merchant ships seem to be what's lacking.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    You should see some of designs. I think I have yet to make ship of the line. A scout is about the most combat inclined vessel I have.

Canon has covered more than enough, Federation, warships. Civilian designs, independant government's, and merchant ships seem to be what's lacking.
    Well, I'm going to be working a bit more on the supplemental ships, though I understand why people aren't 'excited' by them. TAS did a great job in fleshing these things out for the 'Kirk' era though.

I was thinking of a slightly-more-primitive Merchantman ship as well, but damn if that design hasn't been used way too much as it is.