Thread: Languages???

Languages???

Hello everybody. This is my first post but to keep my namesake I will get right down to business.

In character creation a species has either one or two languages listed. Now I beleieve the rules state that checks are not required when using one of these listed languages. So my question is do players have to spend any knowledge skills on the language that is listed for thier particlar species?

I have noticed that the canon characters listed in the back of the narrators guide all have a +6 in theses languages but were they given these skill ranks automatically or was it apart of thier allotment of skills?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Curious; 06-29-2002 at 07:41 PM.

Welcome to forum Curious.

You don't get the languages listed for your species for free. You buy them with species skill picks. See the sidebar on page 85 in the PG.

While the skill in your native language may see little or no use during gameplay I think it's still necessary and should be bought with skill picks. While everyone should be able to use their native language distinguishing between different levels of skill is IMHO still necessary.

The language skill not only encompasses the spoken word, but reading and writing as well. While you don't have to make a skill check for speaking your own language, a check would be required for reading ancient texts. You could also use this skill to determine the quality of a your writing skills.
    As the Player's Guide states: "...make a standard Language test to use the language effectively." (My emphasis) Sure, everbody can comunicate in their native language, but the better your skill the less likely you are to need a Thesaurus and the better you are able toeffectively communicate even the most complex concepts and ideas.

" 'Oh, I see' said the blind man."

Thank you very much Lancer. I have just gotten the books, so if my questions seem a little silly I do apologize.