Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bajoran orbs

Originally posted by C5
    No real connection here, but I suddenly had another idea for an Orb when reading your post : the Orb of War.

Maybe this Orb could be a "Dark Orb"

I don't see how yet, but maybe you could find some use of this?
    I like this. I'm going to use this in my Pah'wraiths infest the Klingon empire stories. Thanks C5 !!.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

You're welcome, Greg. Tell me how it works for you!

I may use some of these ideas as well... my players will soon see the beginning of the Dominion War, so this may give them something else to do than shooting Jem'Hadars - and one of them is Bajoran as well
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Ya know, Kira had a nice set of...

Oh, never mind...

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Cessna
    Ya know, Kira had a nice set of...

Oh, never mind...
    Leeta's weren't bad either!

How about something like an "Orb of Choice." One of the orbs that gives you visions (faith version) of how things would have turned out had you done something differently, or, rather (science version) delves on a surface level, allowing you to look, at alternate quantum realities. Would be an interesting story exploration tool for a crew to accidentally get explosed to the light of the orb, and not realize they're in the equivalent of a mental holodeck, living their lives as if they'd done the opposite of their major regretted decision, wondering if they could possibly fix it, only to have it vanish with a flash...

I'd always wondered what would have happened if Picard had preferred the live he'd seen in "Tapestry."

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Hey that's a very interesting idea, Michael.
    Just one suggestion : what if this Orb allowed people to stay in this alternate world if they choosed to? After all, the Orb of Time allows time travel, what if the Orb of Choice allowed for alternate realities travel?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Regarding the Orb of the Emissary, I got the impression that the "Orb" was in fact the Sarah-Prophet, lying dormant on Tyree awaiting the need for her to cast out the Pagh-Wraith inhabiting the wormhole.

This plays up a few points about the relationships between the Prophets and the Pagh-Wraiths. Are the exiles also "non-linear"? Or were they restricted to existing at one fixed direction in time when they were cast out? It could be similar (to those familiar with Ravenloft in AD&D) to the Vistani and the exiled Darklings. The Darklings want vengeance on their former kinfolk, but having lost much of their precognitive abilities are rarely able to outwit them. Remember the Prophets seemed to know way in advance about the Pagh-Wraiths' plans to escape via Dukat and Winn.

If you're a fan of the Millenium novels or "The Fallen" computer game, you could introduce the Orbs of the Pagh-Wraiths themselves...
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Originally posted by C5
    Hey that's a very interesting idea, Michael.
    Just one suggestion : what if this Orb allowed people to stay in this alternate world if they choosed to? After all, the Orb of Time allows time travel, what if the Orb of Choice allowed for alternate realities travel?
    Oooh. I like that even better. Someone important (Say, Shakaar Edon) goes to view the orb - and vanishes. The vedeks are all confused - the Orb of Choices has never done that before - it has only ever shown people what could have happened, and all the previous people have stood by their choices. But Shakaar... he regretted that he didn't work it out with Kira Nerys. And the orb vision showed him and Kira marrying - and he couldn't help it, he wanted it - and *fwish*.

Now the crew have to find him - but to do so, they enter into the world Shakaar created by this choice: a world where Odo fell to the charms of the female shapeshifter, where the Dominion War only ended because the founders died of their horrible disease, and the fallout of the Jem'Hadar and Vorta spiralling out of control without their Founder leaders dealt some awful blows in the process. It's an Alpha Quadrant much more damaged than the one the crew are used to, with roving bands of Jem'Hadar and so forth, and Shakaar Edon married and ruling a Bajor he feels is better, despite the destruction to the Quadrant.

For a real temptation - if you had a PC or NPC that was much loved by your crew and they died, have them out and about and very much alive and well in this version of hte universe, to add a bit of draw for the crew to stay here too...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson

Perrryyy Guest
    Same deal I made over in the adventure seed thread. I just cut & pasted these to notepad. Later I'll move them over to Word & convert to PDF. I'll pass over to someone who has more experience with PDF's for markup

Orb of alternate universe travel? OOH, that's cool! I might be able to use that in my 'SliderTrek' scenario!

I came up with an 'Orb of Truth.'

Basically, it reveals truths through visions... sometimes truths that the user would rather not confront or know, or truths someone else is trying desperately to keep secret.

For example: Through various circumstances, the Orb of Truth is opened in front of the entire crew. In sets of two, they each experience visions of someone else's deepest, darkest fear/secret, as they themselves are experiencing one.

(In other words, it's Round Robin Revelation time... Capt. Z'arris finds himself an observer of Commander M'Tar's kidnapping and interrogation by the Tal'Shiar, while the M'Tar observes Commander Arion's deep-seated guilt over a death she caused, and Arion observes Captain Z'arris's worry about being discovered to be a genetically altered person... etc. All in semisymbolic form.)

This gives you an opportunity for character development and a chance for small-group roleplaying, if you have your characters act out each scenario, experiencer and observer, in turn.

Plus, it gives you an opportunity to throw in cryptic clues.. in my case, my Death-obsessed betazoid commander is going to be approached by the Silent One, dressed in a shroud, who will tell her to "Seek the Forever Man", while my Security Officer looks on.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

oooh! Me want, me want!!

I like your 'orb of truth' idea First of Two, can I steal it for my campaign?
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Originally posted by Robbert Raets
    So maybe some of the orbs were destroyed/broken into pieces. Thoughts on that?
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that the piece used by the village and their storyteller was part of the Orb of Prophecy. I'll have to double check The Star Trek Encyclopedia on that one.

I seem to recall Kira searching for one of the Orbs taken by the Cardassians in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine comics by Malibu Comics many years ago. Anyone read this story? I only had one issue of it, IIRC it ran three issues at least.

I've found some information...

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/star-trek/c...section-2.html

http://www.shakaar.demon.co.uk/other/comic.htm

The Secret of the Lost Orb. 3 issues (Malibu Comics, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #23-25).
    #23 The Search
    #24 Acceptable Losses
    #25 Gods of War

I like the idea of the "Orb of Honor" from the Adventure Seed thread.

I see it presenting you with a challenge that tests your honor and then if you pass you gain some kind of enlightenment.

Not sure exactly hwo it would do it, but I am open to suggestions
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by Captain Zymmer
    I like the idea of the "Orb of Honor" from the Adventure Seed thread.

I see it presenting you with a challenge that tests your honor and then if you pass you gain some kind of enlightenment.

Not sure exactly hwo it would do it, but I am open to suggestions

When I started this thread the idea I had in mind was to somehow create the Witchblade in Trek, but how to do it..

You just gave me an idea! Originally I had kept the Witchblade as a Primitive Weapon, something along the lines of a mekleth with intelligence (a la intelligent swords from D&D).

After thinking about it for a while, I thought I'd make the weilder of the Witchblade at least part Klingon (and I still don't know what to call it - tho I like "blade of Honor). I just kept seeing Yancy Butler, and kept thinking Bajoran.