Thread: A time to...

A time to...

Is anybody reading the pocket books series Star Trek - A Time To...?

These ten book long series is supposed top cover the time between the events of the motion pictures "Insurrection" and "Nemesis".

I have read the first two books by John Vornhlt. (A Time To Be Born / A Time To Die) and so far I'm not sure what to make of them. I don't want to place any spoiler information, so I will not go into details, but I'm not convinced of the storyline so far.

Starfleets behaviour in regard to Picard or the issue with Data's emotion chip for example don't fit into the mood established by TNG or the TNG-era movies.

What do you think?

I have the first two, but haven't had a chance to read them yet.

General impression I've read from folks is that the characterizations are generally off in the first two books.
    Last edited by Ineti; 07-11-2004 at 04:56 PM.

Cut,
    Yeah I've read the first two as well. Won't be reading any more as I agree with you. Where he did an ok job with the characters in the DS9 relaunch novels, he simply doesn't get the TNG characters at all. The whole data stuff goes totally against what was done in the data trial episode (forget the name).

The second book is even more problamatic for me. I swear someone else wrote the second bokk as it seems to have been done at a grade 10 level. And he references stuff in a TOS mindset. Replicators being called food slots? WTF? Panel's being called boards(He uses the phrase people working their boards alot). That kind of stuff. I had high hopes seeing as overall the DS9 relaunch books are quite good in comparison to most of the trek novel drivel. But alas this is this side of toilet paper.

Originally posted by IceGiant
    The whole data stuff goes totally against what was done in the data trial episode (forget the name).
    A small point, but if I remember correctly the episode in question was "The Measure of a Man"; second season, I believe.

Yes. The episode about Data's standing and rights was in the second TNG season and is called "The measure of a man".

I have to continue the series because I ordered four books at amazon in order to avoid shipping and handling. I'll post again, when I have something new to say

I think it's the entire Data story ark that bothers me. And Admiral Nacheyev (sp?). I was getting used to hating her and Jellico (ST- New Frontier series), that I can't buy that new role of hers.

I read the DS9 relaunch novels Avatar I and II. But I somehow got stuck in the mission gamma series of books. They were far better, even though I'm not convinced of that Ro - Quark story ark...

As an aside, I bought Vornholt's Genesis Force but it's been slow going. I forget how far in I am but I've yet to get to anyone aboard Enterprise .

One of my first Star Trek novels ever was "Masks" by Mr. Vornholt. I really liked that book very much. It still is one of my favorites. After that I bought Contamination by the same author, hopeing it would be an equally good read.

It wasn't in my eyes. Has anyone read "Masks"?

It's depressing to not the lack of quality and canon in Star Trek Novels . . . where as, as I understand it, all the Star Wars novel are cannon, and highly scrutinized for quality before being released.

Originally posted by JALU3
    It's depressing to not the lack of quality and canon in Star Trek Novels . . . where as, as I understand it, all the Star Wars novel are cannon, and highly scrutinized for quality before being released.
    Sounds like someone who hasn't read any of the books in quite some time...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

The DS9 books are generally well written and, while not canon, seem to be checked for internal consistency and for adherence to canon. I've actually purchased many of these.

The "A Time To..." book that I read (the second one) was notably poorer in quality. Any that I read in the future will be obtained from the local library; they're not worth money IMO.

The SCE books are very hit or miss -- some are good stories, and the characters are interesting, but in any anthology about half the stories will be solid, and half poor. I've seen better writing in the Strange New Worlds series than in some of the SCE books.

I'll second that on the SCE books, very hit or miss.